Tuesday, 13 May 2014
Recap by Cethan Leahy.
In October 2013, the book club choice was Every Day by David Levithan. This is what was discussed at the Library Bar.
• The similarity of the premise of Every Day to Quantum Leap was mentioned, which led to discussion on the internal rules of the conceit and if they held up to scrutiny. It was generally felt it was fine that it was left mostly unexplained although the transporting to bodies within driving distance was a bit convenient.
• If A swaps bodies constantly, does A have a gender? It was decided that A doesn’t have one necessarily but A did scan as a male.
• Was A weirdly passive aggressive towards Rhiannon? Shades of “Nice Guy” entitlement.
• Mention of the suicidal girl as a particularly strong chapter.
• There is a sequel and people agreed that they were looking forward to it.